Orioles : Representative Bird of Spring Season
Updated: Aug 1, 2022
' BLACK - HOODED ORIOLE '
· In Spring season (Vasant ritu) as the nature covers itself with yellow colour in backdrop of lush green mustard fields , so the common people celebrate it drapped in yellow costume. A unique bird displaying deep yellow colour naturally draw our attention. The birds are known as ‘Orioles’ . By watching them, we can feel that God has poured lots of spectacular yellow colour on these beautiful birds. The yellow colour is associated with good fortune, spirituality , vibrant energy and joy for all beings.
· Orioles belongs to ‘Oriolidae’ family. In India mainly ‘Indian Golden Oriole’ and ‘Black – hooded Oriole’ are widespread.
· Here Black-hooded Orioles have been displayed which are pictured in their natural habitat around Kolkata. Its scientific name is ‘Oriolus xanthornus’. Orioles are medium – sized passerine bird. Normally found in leafy plant & tress. They feed mainly on fruits and insects. They are usually seen single or in pairs. Their flight are powerful and undulating with fast wing – beats.
· They have pleasing fluty, whistling voice and harsh calls.
· It has glossy black head contrasting with golden – yellow body, bold yellow edges to black tertials and mainly yellow tail.
· Due to bright yellow colour, it is popularly known as ‘Haldi pakhi’ or ‘ turmeric bird’ in West Bengal. In Hindi it is called as ' Topidar Peelak'.
Let us enjoy the beautiful view of orioles in this Spring season and have good fortune.