Visit the town where Lord Shri Ram is worshiped as a King
Updated: Aug 1, 2022
· ‘ORCHHA’, a heritage town, situated on the bank of Betwa river in Bundelkhand area of Madhya Pradesh is the only place where Lord shri Ram is worshiped both as God and as King.
· During our posting at Khajuraho Airport we came to know about little known town of ‘Orchha’ situated approx. 190 Km from Khajuraho (in Madhya Pradesh) and 15 Km from Jhansi (in Uttar Pradesh).On knowing about its grand history and splendid architecture, we couldn’t stop our self from visiting this place. And finally on a pleasant day we planned to visit ‘Orchha’ and unfold the hidden beauty of this historical town.
· On reaching ‘Orchha’ we really find it as a heritage town dotted with grand temples, famous palaces, strong fort, wall paintings, art gallery, cenotaphs on beautiful bank of Betwa river and many more.
· Here main attraction of Orchha town have been displayed pictorially to have a feel of divine peace and beauty of unique art & architecture of ‘Bundela Rajputs’.
Major attraction of Orchha
· Ram Raja Temple : This is the most venerated and highly worshiped place in Bundelkhand area . According to legend, on being happy with prayer of Bundela queen Ganesh Kunwari ,wife of the king of Orchha Madhukar Shah Ju Dev, Lord Ram agreed to come with her to Orchha from Ayodhya in child form. One condition was that the first place where Lord Ram in child form will be seated , will become final place of stay. Another condition was that on reaching Orchha, Lord Ram will be the king (Raja) of Orchha. The present temple of Ram Raja stands on the same sacred place where Lord Ram in child form was first seated on reaching Orchha. Queen had constructed a grand temple known as ‘Chaturbhuj Temple’ for Lord Ram, but as per condition the idol could not be moved to this temple.
· Chaturbhuj Temple : This temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is an architectural marvel having high spires (Vimana or Shikhar) , built on raised platform, decorated ceiling, vaulted walls and other features. It was specially built to enshrine the idol of Lord Ram that presently seated in Ram Raja Temple.
· Laxminarayan Temple : The temple is constructed on a mound . Its style synthesis that of a temple and a fort. It houses exquisite wall and ceiling paintings which is finest representation of Bundela’s School of paintings. A panoramic view of entire Orchha town can be enjoyed from this temple.
· Raja Mahal : It is the finest example of Bundela’s architecture – plain exterior, articulated domes, exquisite murals on religious themes are noteworthy.
· Jehangir Mahal : It is an amalgam of Mughal and Bundela style of architecture. Built for Mughal Emperor Jehangir stay during his visit to Orchha. A symbol of friendly relation between Mughal emperor and Bundela king. Chhatris, decorated domes, vaulted corridors, stone parapet with jali work – all imparts it uniqueness.
· Cenotaphs (Chhatris) : Scenic beauty of magnificent royal tombs/chhatris of kings of Orchha can be enjoyed from the bridge across river Betwa.
# Movie ‘Manikarnika’ and advertisement of mango ‘Slice’ juice have been shot at beautiful locations of Orchha.
Hope you will find ‘Orchha’ as a kaleidoscope of grand temples, palaces with unique architecture, highly artistic murals and scenic beauty of Betwa river, which will leave everlasting impression.